None to be charged with murder of three Sikhs in London

0
16

LONDON: Not one person will be charged with the murder of three British Sikh builders from Punjab who were stabbed to death in an East London alleyway in January this year, a spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police confirmed to TOI on Sunday. “There is no further investigation at this time in respect of this matter,” the spokesperson added.
Narinder Singh Lubhaya, 29, from Hoshiarpur, Malkit Singh Dhillon (known as Baljinder Singh), 37, from Sultanpur Lodhi, and Harinder Kumar (known as Honey), 30, from Patiala, all illegal Punjabi immigrants working in the building trade and living in Ilford, were all pronounced dead at the scene of the brawl near Seven Kings station on 19 January.
Gurjeet Singh, aged 30, from Ilford, killed the three men on 19 January using a knife in an act of self-defence, Snaresbrook Crown Court was told on August 5.
Gurjeet had originally been arrested on January 20 on suspicion of the murders, but the next day he was instead charged with possessing an offensive weapon in a public place and no murder or manslaughter charges were pursued. He appeared at Snaresbrook Crown Court on February 19, where he pleaded not guilty.
Gurjeet appeared for trial on August 19; the jury found him not guilty of the offensive weapon offence.
Gurjeet was left with a number of lacerations and crush injuries on his head and a wound on his hand. He was taken to hospital where he was treated for his injuries under police custody. He too was an overstayer who was served with a notice to leave in May 2015. He had been in the UK on a student visa which had expired in November 2013 and made a failed application to remain under the Human Rights Act.
The court said that the three dead men, together with fellow builders Harpreet and Sandeep Singh, from Romford, had plotted to attack Gurjeet with hammers and knives in revenge for a row that had taken place at the celebration of the birth of a Sikh baby the night before, at which there had been a brawl between Narinder and Gurjeet leading to Narinder’s earring being pulled off leaving him with a bleeding ear.
CCTV was shown to the court which showed Gurjeet leaving the gurudwara at 7.30pm and being set upon by Narinder Balkinder and Sandeep in a dark alleyway. He ran in the opposite direction and was confronted with Harinder. Gurjeet took out a knife to defend himself, the court was told, and then fled. Gurjeet and Sandeep were the only two to survive the brawl.
Sandeep, 29, an overstayer, was sentenced to four years in prison on 5 August after pleading guilty to wounding Gurjeet with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm. He will be deported to India once he has served his sentence.
His brother Harpreet, 27, was sentenced to 12 months in jail after pleading guilty to conspiracy with others to assault Gurjeet. Harpreet had driven Harinder to the scene but did not participate in the violence.

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here